Looking for some challenging geography quiz questions?
Here are 80 geography questions, divided into 8 different rounds of 10 questions each. Have fun!
Geography Quiz Questions Round I
1. What is the only country with a coastline on both the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf?
2. Which river flows through Paris?
3. Where in the British isles is Lady Isabella, the world’s largest working water wheel?
4. What is the capital city of Slovenia, formerly part of the state of Yugoslavia?
5. Which European country shares its border with the most neighbours (nine)?
6. Which Asian country is bigger than France, Spain and Germany combined but has a population of little over two million?
7. What is Europe’s largest port?
8. Hamilton is the capital of which island in the North Atlantic Ocean?
9. In which country is the UK’s highest mountain, Ben Nevis?
10. Mount Vesuvius overlooks which modern Italian city?
Geography Questions Round I Answers
1. Saudi Arabia
2. River Seine
3. Isle of Man
7. Port of Rotterdam
Geography Quiz Questions Round II
1. Of which country is Sofia the capital?
2. Which republic lies partly in Europe and partly in Asia?
3. Which stretch of water separates the Isle of Wights from mainland Britain?
4. Which country is nicknamed ‘The Cockpit of Europe’ because of the number of battles throughout history fought on its soil?
5. What is the capital of Libya?
6. Which European capital city is divided by canals into about 90 islands joined by about 400 bridges?
7. In which US state is the Harvard University?
8. In which ocean are the beautiful islands of Seychelles?
9. What is the highest active volcano in mainland Europe?
10. Brisbane is the capital of which Australian state?
Geography Questions Round II Answers
3. The Solent
8. Indian Ocean
9. Mount Etna
Geography Quiz Questions Round III
1. Which European country is divided into 26 cantons, six of which are designated ‘semi-cantons’ but function as full cantons?
2. A sabra is a native of which country?
3. Which South American country has land borders with ten other countries?
4. Which country has Montevideo as its capital city?
5. Name the only country through which both the Equator and the Tropic of Capricorn pass.
6. Riga is the capital city of which European country?
7. Apart from Dutch and French, what is the other official language of Belgium?
8. In which European country is the cathedral town of Teruel?
9. Which, by area, is the largest country in South America?
10. What’s the world’s biggest port?
Geography Questions Round III Answers
10. Port of Shanghai
1. The Maritime Alps run along the border between which two countries?
2. Which river forms part of the boundary between Mexico and the United States?
3. New Caledonia is a dependent state of which country?
4. Port Moresby is the capital of which country?
5. Which mountain range in Africa has the same name as a town in South Wales?
6. At 2,277 feet, Mount Botrange is the highest point of which European country?
7. Which river flows through Glasgow?
8. What is the world’s second highest mountain after Everest, being situated in Asia?
9. Which sea in Northern Europe is bounded by several countries including Sweden, Finland, Poland and Germany?
10.A road tunnel runs from Pelerins in France to Entreves in Italy under which mountain?
Round IV Answers
1. France and Italy
2. Rio Grande
4. Papua New Guinea
9. The Baltic Sea
1. Which present day state capital was the fist capital of the Confederate states during the American Civil War?
2. In area, Alaska, Texas and California are the three largest US states. Which is the fourth?
3. Kathmandu is the capital city of which country?
4. Which city is also known as ‘The Eternal City’?
5. Saxony was a former state of which country?
6. What is the longest river solely in England?
7. New Haven, New Britain and New London are all cities in which US state?
8. The Great Barrier Reef is off the coast of which Australian state?
9. What is the longest river flowing in India?
10. Baile Atha Cliath is the Gaelic name for which city?
Round V Answers
Geography Questions Round VI Questions
- Is Australia in the northern or the southern hemisphere?
- What does each star on the flag of the United States stand for?
- Which country does the holiday island of Ibiza belong to?
- Which island would you Visit to kiss the Blarney Stone?
- In which country would you be if you were Visiting the Taj Mahal?
- The south of which continent is closest to the Falkland Islands?
- In which mountain range would you find Mount Everest?
- Which country is Luxembourg the capital of?
- What colour is the spot in the middle of the Japanese flag?
- The island of Sicily is at the toe of which country?
Geography Questions Round VI Answers
- A state
- South America
Geography Questions Round VII Questions
Which country is also known as the Netherlands?
In which country are Maoris the indigenous population?
In which Scandinavian country would you find fjords?
Which country’s languages include English, Zulu and Afrikaans?
Which country’s name could be part of a Christmas dinner?
In which city is the Vatican City?
Which Irish city is the second largest in the Republic of Ireland
In which country is the Yellow River, also known as Huang He?
Which country has four letters, the last one q?
Which country, capital Bangkok, used to be called Siam?
Geography Questions Round VII Answers
- New Zeeland
- South Africa
Round VIII Questions
- Which ocean lies between Europe and America?
- Which European country has an area called Flanders?
- Which stretch of water separates Anglesey and Wales?
- Which Rock is on the south coast of Spain?
- Which river flows through Glasgow?
- Which island to the south of India used to be called Ceylon?
- Which sea separates Europe and Africa?
- In which ocean is Fiji?
- Which island, in the Arctic Ocean, is the largest in the world?
- In which continent is the world’s longest river, the Nile?
Geography Questions Round VIII Answers
- Menai Strait
- Sri Lanka