These sports quiz questions are divided into six different rounds of 10 questions each. You can find the correct answer at the end of each round.
Sports Quiz Questions: Golf Round
- Which three British golfers all hit the world no. 1 spot in 2011 or 2012?
- Who, in 2011, became the all-time leading points scorer in the Solheim Cup?
- Which Australian golfer won five Open Championships between 1954 and 1965?
- Who, in 1969, was the first British winner of the Open Championship for eighteen years?
- Who was youngest when they won their first Major: Steve, Tiger or Rory?
- What is the common name given to the championship golf course known formally as the Royal Liverpool Golf Club?
- Who was the first British player to win both the Open Championship and the US Open?
- A matchplay contest between the Big Easy and Boom Boom; who would we be watching?
- At what age is a player permitted to join the Seniors Tour?
- Which European player holds the record for most Ryder Cup appearances and most points earned?
Golf Round Answers
- Luke Donald, Rory Mcllroy and Lee Westwood
- Laura Davies
- Peter Thomson
- Tony Jacklin
- Tiger Woods was twenty-one and three months
- Harry Vardon
- Ernie Els and Fred Couples
- Nick Faldo
Sports Quiz Questions: Cricket Round
- What was Geoff Allott’s ‘achievement’ whilst playing for New Zealand against South Africa in 1999?
- Who scored 364 for England against Australia in 1938, an individual test match record that stood for twenty years?
- Who broke the record against Pakistan in 1958?
- Brian Lara made his two highest scores (400 not out and 375) against the same team on the same ground. Which team and which ground?
- Who was the youngest English player to score a test century?
- Which England captain once walked out to bat but forgot to take his bat with him?
- In which city is the Wankhede Stadium?
- Which pair put on a massive fifth-wicket partnership to turn round a test match against Australia in 2001, winning the game after following on 274 runs behind?
- Who scored 167 not out, England’s highest ever individual one-day score, against Australia in a one-day international in 1993?
- Which Indian batsman became the first player to pass 10,000 runs in test cricket in 1987?
Cricket Round Answers
- The slowest (seventy-seven balls) nought in test match history
- Len Hutton
- Gary Sobers
- England – St. John’s, Antigua
- Denis Compton, aged twenty in 1938
- Bob Willis
- Mumbai, India
- V.V.S. Laxman and Rahul Dravid
- Robin Smith
- Sunil Gavaskar
Sports Quiz Questions: Boxing Round
- Which boxing trainer, who died in 2012, trained a record forty-one world champion fighters?
- Who beat Lennox Lewis in 1994, a fight which caused Lewis to re-evaluate his career and step on to become world champion?
- Who, in 1956, was the youngest fighter to become heavyweight champion of the world?
- Who beat John L. Sullivan to win the world heavyweight championship in 1892?
- Which middleweight boxer was imprisoned in 1966 on a questionable charge of murder?
- Which heavyweight boxer broke Muhammad Ali’s jaw in a 1973 fight in San Diego?
- What is the name of Rocky’s trainer in the Rocky movies?
- By what nickname was Thomas Hearns most commonly known in boxing circles?
- Which great boxer did Sugar Ray Leonard defeat in 1987 to win the world middleweight title after a three-and-a-half year retirement?
- How many rounds did Mike Tyson take to finish off Frank Bruno in Las Vegas in 1989?
Boxing Round Answers
- Manny Steward
- Oliver McCall
- Floyd Paterson
- ‘Gentleman’ Jim Corbett
- Rubin Carter
- Ken Norton
- Mickey Goldmill
- ‘The Hitman’ Hearns
- Marvin Hagler
Sports Quiz Questions: Football Round
- Which all-time-great was one of the two players to receive a red card when the system was first introduced in 1976?
- Who scored both goals in the final as Manchester United lifted Alex Ferguson’s first European trophy in 1991?
- Who was banned from European fixtures for headbutting Tottenham coach Joe Jordan in a heated Champions League fixture in 2011?
- For which five Premier League clubs has Nicolas Anelka plied his trade?
- Who won two FA Cups at the beginning of the last century, winning the two matches by an aggregate score of 10-0?
- Which Scottish side joined the Scottish League in 2002, Climber quickly to the Scottish Premier League, reached the Scottish Cup final, them went into liquidation when their sugar daddy withdrew support?
- Who were the first non-Premier League side for twenty-three years to knock Manchester United out of the FA cup in 2010?
- With which Dutch club was Ruud Gullit playing before his move to AC Milan in 1987?
- Who captained the Wales side against England, aged only twenty in 2011?
- Who are the top two scorers in the history of the SPL?
Football Round Answers
- George Best
- Mark Hughes
- Gennaro Gattuso of Milan
- Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Bolton Wanderers and Chelsea
- Bury – they beat Southampton 4-0 in 1900 and then Derby 6-0 five years later
- Leeds United
- PSV Eindhoven
- Aaron Ramsey
- Kris Boyd and Henrik Larsson
Sports Quiz Questions: Horse Racing Round
- Which jockey earned his first Derby win aged thirty-six aboard Authorized in 2007?
- Who was the first amateur rider for thirty years to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup when he rode Long Run to victory in 2011?
- The 1,000 Guineas and the Oaks are open exclusively to which kind of horse?
- What race is the highlight of the French racing season in October?
- Who won his first Grand National aboard Don’t Push It in 2010?
- Which Paddy Mullins trained horse, the best mare in jump-racing history, won the Champion Hurdle in 1984 and the Gold Cup in 1986, a unique double?
- What first was achieved by the jokey of the third-placed horse, Seabass, at the 2012 Grand National?
- Which 2012 Gold Cup winner was killed at the Grand National the following month, renewing calls for increased safety or the abandonment of the race?
- Which durable horse entered six Grand Nationals, finishing five, including a win in 1986, a second place in 1989 and two fourths?
- In which city is Churchill Downs racecourse and what famous race is held there each year?
Horse Racing Round Answers
- Frankie Dettori
- Sam Waley-Cohen
- Three-year-old horses
- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- A.P. McCoy
- Dawn Run
- She was Katie Walsh, the first female jockey to ride a placed horse in the race
- West Tip
- Louisville, home of the Kentucky Derby
Sports Quiz Questions: Olympic Games
- Who coached the Great Britain men’s and women’s football teams at the 2012 Olympics?
- Prior to Usain Bolt, who was the last man to win the sprint double of 100 metres and 200 metres?
- Which was the first Olympic Games attended by the Soviet Union as a communist power?
- At the opening ceremony for the Olympic Games, the teams parade in alphabetical order (in the language of the host nation), with which two exceptions?
- What new feature of the Games in Mexico City in 1968 resulted in the withdrawal of many high-profile athletes?
- Johnny Weissmuller, who would later play Tarzan in Hollywood movies, won six Olympic medals: five swimming golds and a bronze in which other discipline?
- In 1980 sixty-two countries boycotted the Moscow Olympics in protest at what action by the Soviet government?
- Who won the Olympic pentathlon and decathlon in 1912, only to be stripped of the medals for playing a season of semi-pro baseball?
- in 1976, which Great Britain swimmer broke an American monopoly in the men’s swimming events?
- Who is the only Great Britain athlete to have won an Olympic medal in any of the three long-distance races for women: 5,000 metres, 10,000 metres and marathon?
Olympic Games Round Answers
- Stuart Pearce and Hope Powell
- Carl Lewis
- 1952, Helsinki
- Greece – who always go first in honour of their contribution to the Olympic movement and the host nation, who come out last so they don’t steal attention from the others.
- Systematic drug testing
- Water Polo
- Invasion of Afghanistan
- Jim Thorpe (the IOC restored his medals in 1983, thirty years after his death)
- David Wilkie in the 200 metres breaststroke
- Liz McColgan, silver in the 10,000 metres in 1988