Christmas Quiz Questions and Answers – History
1. When was the first Christmas card printed?
2. When was the first ever organised Christmas Day swim?
Christmas Day 1864
3. The first royal Christmas broadcast – which monarch made it?
4. Who invented the Christmas cracker?
Tom Smith, a 19th-century London sweet shop owner
5. What birds were popular on UK Christmas cards?
6. Shakespeare wrote a play for Elizabeth I, as a Christmas present. Which one is it?
The Merry Wives of Windsor
7. Stephen the first founded a country in the year 1000, on Christmas Day. It’s:
8. What did Scottish nationalist students take from Westminster Abbey on 25th December 1950?
The Stone of Scone
9. Which country donates the Christmas Tree in Trafalgar Square?
10. Where did Joseph, Mary, and Jesus travel after leaving Bethlehem?
11. Who is the patron saint celebrated on the 26th of December?
12. What gifts did The Three Wise Men give Jesus on his birthday?
Gold, Myrrh, and Frankincense
13. When does the Russian Orthodox Church celebrate Christmas?
14. In what country was eggnog invented?
15. What were the children drinking in the first commercially produced Christmas cards by Henry Cole?
16. Who wrote the first ever King’s Christmas message?
16. Who was the first King’s Christmas message for?
George V in 1932
17. Who banned Christmas, after the English Civil War in 1647?
18. Where does the name “Boxing Day” come from?
From the church alms boxes.
19. When was Christmas first celebrated in the UK?
Christmas Ornaments and Gifts Questions and Answers
1. What ornaments do elves have on their shoes?
2. What colour are mistletoe berries?
3. How many tips do traditional snowflakes have?
4. Apart from red and green, what other colours are really popular on Christmas?
Gold and silver.
5. What are the most two popular phrases on Christmas gift cards?
To and from.
6. What is the most popular Christmas tree ornament for the tip?
7. By when should Christmas decorations come down, according to UK traditions?
By January 5th.
8. What popular Christmas toy is actually based on a 20th-century political caricature?
The teddy bear.
9. What ancient people started the tradition of exchanging gifts?
10. What are small, cheap gifts usually called?
11. Where does the tradition to hang gifts in the Christmas tree come from?
12. Why do we give chocolate coins for Christmas?
To honour Saint Nicholas
Santa Claus Quiz Questions and Answers
1. How does Santa climb up the chimney after getting your presents?
Touches his nose, smiles and nods.
2. What were the first eight reindeers?
Blitzen, Comet, Cupid, Dasher, Prancer, Vixen, Dancer, and Donner
3. Which soft drinks company is the first to have ads featuring Santa?
4. What snacks does Santa love?
Milk and cookies.
5. What is Santa called in France?
6. Which reindeer name means “thunder”?
7. Which reindeer name means “lightning”?
8. Which US states have towns actually named Santa Claus?
Georgia, Arizona, and Indiana.
9. Who created Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa’s ninth reindeer?
10. Which Saturday Evening Post artist made really funny Santa Claus pictures?
11. What is Santa called in Germany?
Christmas Books, Songs and Movies Questions and Answers
1. What is the name of Ebenezer Scrooge’s partner in A Christmas Carol?
1. Jacob Marley
2. Which actor got the starring role for Jingle All the Way?
3. Who wants to steals the Christmas?
4. Who wrote A Christmas Carol?
5. In the poem ‘The Night Before Christmas’, what did children have visions of?
6. What is ‘Smoking Bishop’?
A sort of mulled wine
7. What female actress stars in Miracle on 34th Street?
8. What year was Do They Know It’s Christmas? written?
9. Which Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale inspired the movie Frozen?
The Snow Queen
10. Who resurrected Frosty in Frosty the Snowman?
11. Why was the Grinch so mean?
His heart was two sizes too small.
12. What is the biggest selling Christmas song?
13. Who said “God bless us, every one!”?
14. What sort of spirit is Clarence in It’s a Wonderful Life?
15. Where are the stockings hung in The Night before Christmas?
By the chimney.
16. Who recorded Blue Christmas?
17. What reindeer is never mentioned in The Night before Christmas?
18. What 1990 movie tells the story of a boy whose house is robbed at Christmas?
Christmas Carols Questions and Answers
1. What carol is also known as “the counting song”?
The Twelve Days of Christmas.
2. What carol can you use to demand figgy pudding?
We wish you a Merry Christmas
3. What carol warns you about Santa?
Santa Claus is coming to town
4. Which carol was originally named One horse open sleigh?
5. What carol has the words fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la?
Deck the halls
6. Which carol brings you tidings of comfort and joy?
God rest ye merry gentlemen
7. What carol is best sung when “the weather outside is frightful”?
Let it snow
8. What is wassailing?
The tradition of wishing neighbours a long life.
9. Which saint introduced carols in churches?
St Francis of Assisi
10. Which American holiday was the carol Jingle bells originally intended for?
11. What was the first carol broadcasted from space?
Christmas Food Questions and Answers
1. What type of pie filling is really appreciated at Christmas?
2. What holiday drink is made with milk, egg and sugar?
3. What were mince pies made with, in Victorian times?
Beef and spices
4. What fruit is usually placed in stockings?
5. What is the traditional Christmas meal in England?
Turkey with cranberry sauce and potatoes
6. What was the traditional Christmas meal in England in Victorian times?
Pig’s head and mustard
7. What was Christmas pudding originally made of?
Soup with raisins and wine
8. What Christmas cake looks like an actual log?
The Yule log
Funny Christmas Quiz Questions and Answers
1. How does Santa keep track of all the fireplaces he’s visited?
He keeps a log book.
2. What did 52% of Brits order for Christmas dinner?
3. What did the Kremlin send MI6 in their Christmas hamper?
A mince spy.
4. Why is Mrs Claus always checking Santa’s phone?
He seems to know where all the naughty girls live.
5. Why did Santa’s elf go in for counselling?
He suffered from low self-esteem.
6. Why does Santa have three gardens?
So he can ‘ho ho ho’!
7. What goes “Oh, Oh, Oh”?
Santa walking backwards
8. Why was the snowman looking through the carrots?
He was picking his nose
9. What did Adam say the day before Christmas?
“It’s Christmas Eve”
10. What’s a dog’s favourite carol?
Bark, the herald angels sing
11. Why are Christmas trees very bad at knitting?
Because they always drop their needles
12. What is the best Christmas present?
A broken drum, you can’t beat it!