Halloween is a time when people can dress up in costumes and pretend to be someone or something else. For one night, people can be anything they want to be.
But how much do you really know about the spookiest night of the year!? Take a look at these Halloween quiz questions and answers to find out. We divided the questions into four different rounds, have fun!
Round 1: General Halloween Quiz Questions
1. How did Halloween originate?
2. In which part of the British Isles is Halloween sometimes called “Pooky Night”?
3. Which Halloween custom of US origin has resulted in British children going from door to door in recent years?
4. Why do we say “trick or treat”?
5. What is a group of witches called?
6. In which county did the Pendle witches terrify their neighbours?
7. What is the difference between a ghost and a mummy?
8. At which school of witchcraft does Harry Potter learn the magic arts?
9. Why do we carve pumpkins for Halloween?
10. Who wrote “The Fall of the House of Usher”?
11. The ghost of which US president has reportedly been seen at the White House?
12. Who is the most famous witch in history?
13. What is Audrey II in the Little Shop of Horrors?
14. Who was England’s Witchfinder-General?
Round 2: Horror Films
15. What is the scariest Halloween movie ever made?
16. In which horror film does Jack Nicholson pursue Shelley Duval with an axe?
17. What is the name of the bloodthirsty murderer in the Halloween films?
18. In Gremlins, what are the two essentials that have to be remembered to prevent the adorable creatures from becoming monsters?
19. In which 1939 comedy thriller is Bob Hope among guests menaced by a maniac in an old dark horse?
20. Which horror actor was billed as ‘The Man of a Thousand Faces’?
21. In which film do three student filmmakers film events leading to their own deaths?
22. Who was ‘the abominable Dr Phibes’?
23. In which 1968 film are five people trapped in a farmhouse by rampaging zombies?
24. What fate befalls Sergeant Howie in The Wicker Man?
25. In which film does Kenneth Williams proclaim ‘Frying tonight!’ as he descends into a vat of boiling wax?
Round 3: Vampires
26. Who wrote the original Dracula story?
27. Which Romanian leader is said to have inspired the character of Dracula?
28. Which horror film star was buried in the cape he wrote as Count Dracula?
29. Which snooker player was nicknamed ‘Dracula’?
30. Who starred as television’s Buffy the Vampire-Slayer?
31. Which 1922 horror film introduced the vampire on the silver screen?
32. What is the name of the lawyer who visits Dracula’s castle at the beginning of the original tale?
33. Which vegetable is said to ward off vampires?
34. At which British port does Dracula’s ship put in?
35. Dracula actor Bela Lugosi was born in Transylvania – true or false?
Round 4: Pot Luck
36. Who wrote the 1818 novel Frankenstein?
37. What is an arachnophobe scared off?
38. Over which land does the White Witch rule in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?
39. Who terrified the world as the Mummy in 1932?
40. Which hit television documentary on the supernatural is presented by Yvette Fielding and Derek Acorah?
41. How many witches confront Macbeth in the opening scene of Shakespeare’s play?
42. What name is given to a ghost which confines itself to making noises and moving things?
43. From which direction did the wicked with of The Wizard of Oz come?
44. Which supernatural creature has been linked with the medical condition lycanthropy?
45. Why didn’t the skeleton go to the ball?
Happy Halloween! We hope you enjoyed our spooky Halloween quiz. We had a lot of fun putting it together and we hope you learned something new about the history of this holiday.